Celebrating World Ocean Day With The Blue Marine Foundation

Celebrating World Ocean Day With The Blue Marine Foundation


Working to protect our ocean with the Blue Marine Foundation team. BLUE’s mission is to see at least 30% of the world’s ocean under effective protection by 2030 and the other 70% managed in a responsible way.

The ocean is essential to human life as we deeply rely on it. Life in the sea keeps our planet habitable for life everywhere. It makes up 97% of the total living space on earth, produces over 50% of the oxygen we breathe and absorbs much of the carbon dioxide that we produce. The ocean is one of the largest carbon sinks that can help mitigate climate change. Over one billion people depend on the ocean to provide them with their main source of animal protein and its one of the most reliable sources of natural energy.

Blue Marine Foundation are involved in projects that span the world from Ascension Island in the Atlantic to the Aeolian Islands in the Mediterranean, and the Maldives in the Indian ocean. Its work involves creating marine reserves, protection of the high seas, restoring marine habitats and supporting local small-scale, low impact coastal fishing communities.

Technological advances in design and build of superyachts has helped bring more sustainable solutions on board. More money and time are being spent on building greener vessels to lessen their impact on the marine environment. This is encouraging and demonstrates that technology can help. However, greener technology will not solve the problem alone. The marine environment also needs conserving to allow it to fully restore. Imperial and other members from the industry are providing their support by partnering with BLUE or joining BLUE’s yacht club to help save and protect our ocean.

Going forward, it is vital that yachting companies and charter guests implement methods to support this when chartering. Charter guests and companies can follow the BMYC Charter. The BMYC Charter provides a voluntary code of conduct for members and non-members to follow. Therefore, they can sail responsibly and feel confident that they are ocean friendly when at sea. This includes not taking single use plastic on board, being mindful of where you anchor and avoiding seagrass meadows. As well as using ocean friendly products like shower wash and sun lotion, purchasing your fish from local responsible fishermen and diving responsibly.

Imperial joined the Blue Marine Yacht Club (BMYC) at the highest level, with a three-star membership to support BLUE’s mission. The BMYC unites the global yachting community in a clear mission to protect our ocean and ensure it remains a resource to be enjoyed by future generations. All donations received through the BMYC go directly to support BLUE’s projects around the world and its mission of protecting at least 30% of the world’s ocean by 2030.

BLUE’s BMYC private event on board AMADEA (136 metre, Lürssen) in 2019, kindly supported by Imperial and Lürssen, was the most successful BMYC event BLUE has held to date. The event was extremely well attended with BMYC supporters and new supporters from the industry. A huge amount of money was raised on the night, as well as a very large donation by Evgeniy Kochman, CEO of Imperial. The evening marked a turning point in financial support for many of BLUE’s projects, especially its work in the UK Overseas Territories and Ascension Island.

Every year BLUE hosts its BMYC event in Monaco at a very special venue, whether that be on board a superyacht or at the Monaco Yacht Club. The event on board AMADEA (136 metre, Lürssen) last year raised the bar. It provided BLUE the opportunity to gather existing and prospective BMYC supporters. As well as to speak about its work in a fabulous setting. The event enabled BLUE to raise its profile among new industry members and secure new support for its work.

Чартер / 26.05.2021
Top 9 Wines to Have on Board Your Superyacht This Summer
Cheers to warmer weather and longer days spent out at sea. Although summer is synonymous with rosé wine, there are plenty of other refreshing wines to cool you down during the hotter months. In collaboration with Riviera Wine, we sel...
Направление / 17.05.2021
Чартер суперъяхты на период культовой гонки Гра-при Монако
Гран-при начнется в четверг с квалификационных гонок и продлится до воскресенья. Гран-при Монако проводится ежегодно, начиная с 1929 года, и считается одной из самых престижных гонок, привлекающей в миниатюрное княжество гостей со всего...
Чартер / 05.05.2021
Discover the underwater world onboard LANA
In conversation with LANA's Dive Master Access the most beautiful and remote marine destinations on the planet onboard LANA. Today, we sat down with the Benetti 107m Dive Instructor to discuss his favourite tropical dive sites. Di...